A BIT OF HISTORY: Ernest Layton Home located at 341 Church Street
“The home was built about 1911 by Ernest Layton, a local businessman and descendant of Christopher Layton. Ernest, called “Ern” by his friends owned a farm implement and hardware store on Main Street in Layton. He also had a car dealership where he sold Chalmer’s cars. Ernest was born August 25, 1869. He married Andra Elizabeth Flint in 1899. They had three children, Itha Flint Layton, married to Clair Whitesides, Leda Flint Layton, married to LeGrande Hess, and Golden Flint Layton. It was Ernest’s second wife Laura Lucy Sandall who lived with him in the home on Church Street. She was famous for her delicious apple pies. At that time the home included 8 1/2 acres of land. Rudy Van Orden purchased the home from Laura Sandall Layton. Brian and Carol McKinlay owned the home and remodeled the kitchen. They sold it to Dorcas Stevens – Lakeside Review 9-15-1992″
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.